Mold is everywhere-tiny spores float in the air outside and inside your home. Mold is really a reality of life, however too much exposure can ruin your health. Even just a small mold outbreak could spew many tiny mold spores throughout your home. As a home owner you have to find and address whether you have a mold dilemma.
1. Appearance: Growing colonies of mold can be seen in many cases. Many people are aware of mold growth on cheese and bread or those “science projects” inside of tupperware containers, that inadvertently moved to the back of the fridge. This mold is usually green or black and furry. Most of these molds will be eliminated by household cleaners.
2. Smell: Your house smells musty or earthy. Molds are living things in which grow on organic based food sources like paper, wood and leaves. Think about just how a forest floor or an old pile of leaves smells; if that’s familiar, you might like to get your home inspected. Mold can hide within walls, in ductwork, or between the ceiling and roof, so visual evidence isn’t available.
3. Excessive outbreak: Although most active mold colonies seem greenish to black (typical of mold growing on bathroom tile grout), the visual appearance of mold colonies developing at the rear of dry-wall has completely different qualities. These large mold outbreaks typically lead to pinkish to yellowish staining of the wall. These colors are “red flags” as they show serious, potentially dangerous moisture accumulations inside gypsum board. At this point you need to contact a specialist to assess the harm. It might happen to be the effect of a weather event which compromised your roof, a leaky pipe or even an overspill in a bathtub.
4. Mold Allergic reactions: Sometimes you might not see or smell mold at home however, are suffering from mold issues anyhow, as you upper-respiratory system is going “haywire”. This is the list of the most common mold allergen symptoms: sneezing, runny nose, coughing, post-nasal drip, itching and watery eyes, itchy throat and nose, dark circles under eyes, nose rubbing, swollen and crusty eyes. Often long-term or excessive contact with mold and mildew can lead to more dangerous issues like Asthma, or worse, lung inflammation Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis with long-term, lasting lung damage.
If you notice just one or two of these, make an appointment to have your house inspected by a licensed inspector and find a mold remediation expert. Often times these symptoms are ignored and when something is finally done, it is already far too late. The most secure plan is to aggressively search for the origin of the mold and deal with it as soon as possible.