Learning how to spend less money on your family’s budget will help you build a savings account. A savings cushion will help protect your family from financial disaster. Learn how to easily spend less money.
Price-conscious consumers have an advantage over the average shopper because they know how to pay the lowest cost for a variety of items. Smart spending is more than just clipping coupons. It may take some effort and planning at first, but finding ways to save money on various items can become second nature after a short while.
1. Use Shopping Apps
Use smart phone apps to find great deals, comparison shop and get cash back.
- Ibotta (I-bought-a) is a cash back app that searches for discounts and rebates on groceries, clothing, medicine, etc. without having to clip coupons. Discounts are found by scanning receipts with your camera. Over 750 retailers are participating, including Walmart, Best Buy and Walgreens.
- Snap by Groupon is designed for saving online and in stores. The app is now formatted to view retailer specific offers rather than being product-specific. Groupon continues to promote great discounts on a variety of services, classes, events, products, etc.
- The Jet app offers online shopping deals with a reward for frequent purchases. A large assortment of items are available (food, pet products, appliances). You can unlock additional savings by adding more purchases. There is an additional discount of 1.5% when using a debit card. Free shipping is offered for purchases over $35.
2. Subscribe to Store Email Offers
Avoid applying for those additional credit cards offered by retailers, but do agree to join their email lists! Many retail businesses, such as clothing or department stores, will ask for an email address since they want to notify customers about upcoming flash sales and special deals. Stores will frequently send special offers, coupons or discounts to subscribers, so this is a great way to have money-saving opportunities delivered to your inbox.
Tip: There is always the option to cancel the subscription email if it is not providing value.
3. Furniture Shop Online
Furniture and bedding are big budget items. Furniture stores typically have huge mark-ups, in part because they are covering the cost of the retail space and sales staff. Many online retailers offer a variety of home furnishings at discount prices along with free shipping. For example:
- Wayfair offers quality brands on hundreds of household items that range from kitchen tables to patio furniture. Free shipping is …